- Hedge Funds Imploding
December 31, 2008
- 2009 Imaginary Retrospective
December 27, 2008
- World Bank & Economic Forecast
December 10, 2008
- Forget State vs. Treasury
November 30, 2008
- Muni Squeeze
November 28, 2008
- Beyond the Ivied Halls, Endowments Suffer
November 26, 2008
- China to Hit 5.5% in Q4
November 26, 2008
- China's IMPLODING
November, 26, 2008
- Paulson Plan Truly Idiotic
November 26, 2008
- Permanent Tax Cuts the Best
November 25, 2008
- Buffett's Favorite LT Indicator
November 24, 2008
- Fed's Out of Bullets
November 24, 2008
- New Deal Didn't Always Work
November 23, 2008
- 2008 Worse Than 1931?
November 21, 2008
- Bear Market...Time to BUY?
November 9, 2008
- Capitalism is More than a Spectator Sport
November 9, 2008
- How The Thundering Herd....
November 9, 2008
- Just What This Downturn Demands: A Consumption Tax
November 9, 2008
- The Climate For Change
November 9, 2008
- How Far Will Deleveraging Go?
November 8, 2008
- Tearing into the Fed and Treasury Plans
October 27, 2008
- Beijing Olympian task
September 3, 2008
- Defaults of European Leveraged Loans to Quadruple over 2003
September 3, 2008
- Want to Vote for Barack Obama?
August 30, 2008
- 2$ Trillion of Debt - Related Losses
August 4, 2008
- Stars Have Yet to Align for Stocks
August 3, 2008
- Three Strikes Against Consumers
August 3, 2008
- Fannie, Freddie, to Die Another Day...Baum
July 30, 2008
- State Slammed by Shortfalls
July 24, 2008
- States Slammed By Tax Shortfalls
July 24, 2008
- Crunch Poised to Curb Global Growth
July 22, 2008
- Oil Peak?
July 22, 2008
- Too Big To Fail?
July 20, 2008
- ''Why No Outrage?''
July 19, 2008
- A New President-A Sea Change In Policy
July 19, 2008
- The Credit Crisis Is Going to Get Worse
July 5, 2008
- A Peek Behind the Price at the Pump
May 11, 2008
- Big Rescues Can Work. Just Ask New York
May 11, 2008
- A Rally with Serious Muscle
May 5, 2008
- After the Mauling of the ''Bear,'' has the Bull Market Begun?
May 5, 2008
- Sevel Habits Finance Regulators Must Aquire
May 5, 2008
- What Stage of the Sub-Prime Crisis are We In?
May 5, 2008
- Who Rides the Lifeboat
May 2, 2008
- Global Housing Perils
April 5, 2008
- International Housing More Overvalued than USA!!!
April 5, 2008
- US Recession Doesn't Hinder Emerging Markets
April 1, 2008
- Commodities Boom-Whose Behind it?
March 31, 2008
- Nuclear Option Nearer as Old Remedies Falter
March 29, 2008
- Measuring Success (or Failure)....Spreds
March 27, 2008
- Stocks Tarnished By 'Lost Decade'
March 26, 2008
- Comping to the 1920's and 1930's
February 15, 2008
- IRC...Sell Commodities
March 10, 2008
- Double Bubble Trouble
March 5, 2008
- How A Bubble Stayed Under The Radar
March 2, 2008
- Guardian of Bearish LEI remaims Bullish....caroline Baum
February 25, 2008
- The Bust of the Private Equity and LBO Bubble...or the End of Schmalpha...
February 22, 2008
- Mind The Gap Between Stocks And Bonds
February 21, 2008
- Housing Cycle Is Caught in Vicious Circle
February 20, 2008
- Our Economic Dilemma
February 20, 2008
- When Nerves Get Short, Credit Gets Tight
February 19, 2008
- Companies vs. Consumers: An Endgame
February 11, 2008
- Different this time?
February 11, 2008
- Junk Yields Flashing Back To '01 Slump
January 30, 2008
- Past Recessions Yield A few Clues
January 14, 2008
- Earnings Decelleration
September 26, 2004 - Don't Worry, Be Happy (Even if Earnings Go Soft)
- Rebalancing or Relapse?
September 10, 2004
- The Next Shock: Not Oil, but Debt
September 5, 2004
- A Recession in Pink
August 17, 2004
- Yikes, American's Incomes Shrink for Two Years!
July 29, 2004 - (Where did all theConsumer Spending come from then?)
- What's the Stock Market Telling Us?
July 19, 2004 - In the past five decades, when the S&P 500 index was down by this time of the year, it was foreshadowing a deep slowdown in economic growth for the following year.
- More Smoke in the Housing Market
June 24, 2004 - The Ever More Graspable, and Risky, American Dream
- America's Rocketing External Deficit
March 1, 2004 - America's rocketing external deficit faces a shortage of fuel
- The Dollar's Delicate Balancing Act
February 29, 2004
- China: Why the Giant May Stumble
February 23, 2004
- China Rethinks The Peg Tying Yuan and Dollar
February 13, 2004 - Outside Pressure to Delink, Beijing's Fears of Losing Control Prod Possible Shift
- Let the dollar drop
February 5, 2004 - Hmmm...thinking Contrarian leaves us...
- Asian Central Banks Consider Alternatives to Big Dollar Holdings
February 4, 2004
- John Templeton on NBR
February 2, 2004
- CNBC to Cut 'BUSINESS CENTER'....Socionomics!!!
November 25, 2003
- Some Cultural Expressions of Social Mood Trends
November 10, 2003 - from Robert Prechter's "The Wave Principle of Human Social Behavior"
- No Shame on Wall Street
November 7, 2003 - By Arnaud de Borchgrave of UPI
- Another Source of Consumer Buying Power Dries Up!
November 7, 2003 - Mortgage Refi as a Liquidity Vehicle
- It's Embezzlement, Stupid!
November 6, 2003 - In the early years of bank computer systems...
- Deep in Debt, Caught in a Net
November 4, 2003
- China's Problems...Futures Shock!!!
November 4, 2003 - China's Futures-Market Boom Creates Headaches in Beijing
- HMMMM, More Smoke in the Housing Sector!!!
November 4, 2003 - Builders Contest
Plan for Oversight Of Freddie, Fannie
- Shipping Rates Moving with China Demand...Inflationary or Deflationary?
November 4, 2003 - A Surge in Ocean-Shipping Rates Could Increase Consumer Prices
- Global Slowdown with China GEARING DOWN?
November 3, 2003 - Morgan Stanley Daily Economic Comment
- China...The Next BUBBLE?
November 3, 2003 - Is China's Boom In Danger?
- The Virtuous Cycle...Bull Case on the Economy!!!
November 3, 2003 - The Virtuous Cycle Is Finally Kicking In
- Ad UpFront Market was Strong...Spot Market Extremely Weak!
October 23, 2003 - Weakness Is Seen
In Ad Spending At Media Titans
- Debt Exceeds Expectations!!!.....Something New? Not from Our Perspective!!!
October 23, 2003 - Household Debt Burden Looms Larger for Lower-Income Renters
- NYSE Seat Price Plunges to 5-Year Low!!
October 22, 2003
- My Father's Home Town (Pburgh) May Declare Bankruptcy!!
October 15, 2003 - You heard this discussion from us over 1 1/2 years ago...this is a process, not a single, solitary event!!!
- Leveraging Pension Funding by the States
October 12, 2003 - States Risk Bigger Losses to Fund Pensions
- Fannie and Freddie (and the Federal Home Loans, Banks,etc.) are where the Fires are!!!
October 9, 2003 - Fannie Takes the Hill
- Here is More Smoke...Now, Where's the Fire?
October 9, 2003 - Home Loan Banks Raise Fears;Losses Suggest Too Much Risk
- Make Hay While the Sun Shines...Go to Congress when Pension Funding gets Tough!!!
October 9, 2003 - House Backs Cut
In Pension Outlays Over Two Years
- Speculators Rallied the Telecoms over 30% through June!!!
October 9, 2003 - Cash flow is deteriorating, Dividend Payouts are Next!!!
- Dollar Info
October 8, 2003 - Dollar Weakens Again (No U.S. Tears Are Shed)
- Next Mega Trend
October 8, 2003 - Overseas Job Shift Affects Office Market
- From Corporate Perks to Those now on College Campuses!!!
October 7, 2003
- Employment Report Spurs Stock Rally
October 7, 2003 - Last Friday, the Department of Labor reported that employment grew for the first time since January
- The Truth Behind US GDP Growth
October 2003 - Global stock markets are on a tear and economists are busy..
- U.S. Debt - Sword of Damocles
October 2003 - For the last 30 years, the 30-year U.S. government bond has been, if you'll pardon the pun, the gold standard of debt.
- Apartment Recovery Normally Gives Housing Market a Headache!!!
October 7, 2003 - Apartment Sector
Saw Slight Uptick In Third Quarter
- Negative Absorption for Last Quarter for Office Market, Yet Hope Runs Eternal!!!
October 7, 2003 - Office Vacancies
Continue to Climb As Rents Decline
- The Feds are Leveraging Up their own Balance Sheets!!!
October 7, 2003 - Flubbing It
- Chasing Yield with $1 billion Eastman Kodak Bond Issue...Where is Polariod Now?
October 7, 2003 - Investment-Grade Funds
Respond to Attractive Terms And Show Strong Demand
- Steel Tariffs, the Cancun Disaster Meeting and the Cycle of Deflation
October 2, 2003 - An Early Stage Of A Return To Smoot-Hawley Environment?
- Surge in Lending In China Stokes Economic Worries
October 3, 2003 - Spending, Investment Sprees Point To Overheating; Bad Debts Rise
- California, or Bust!!!
September 29, 2003 - Accessing the Capital Markets or Who is Foolish enough to buy this Paper?
- Protectionist Tilt (remember Smoot Hawley!)
September 26, 2003 - Morgan Stanley Daily Economic Comment
- Forecast Recovery Hopes are Too Rosy
September 24, 2003 - The U.S. economy faces at least another year of tepid growth despite..
- Weaker Dollar
September 23, 2003 - U.S. Push for Weaker Dollar Rattles Markets Around Globe
- Bonds & the Future?
September 22, 2003 - Just how long is "a considerable period?" Last week, the US Federal Reserve committed to keep interest rates low for that indeterminate stretch of time.
- The Largest Buyers of US Gov't Securities
September 13, 2003 - U.S. Debt to Asia Swelling
- Borrow & Spend, Guns & Butter, Overconsumption
September 12, 2003 - Ned Davis Research
- High End Housing on the Skids...old news, just being reported on...now the trickle down effect!!!
September 12, 2003 - Trouble at the Top
- Inflation Rates Fall Worldwide
September 12, 2003 - IMF Official Credits Free-Market Policies
- Pension Bomb!!!...much bigger than the 1990 S&L Crisis!!!
September 5, 2003 - Warning of Pension-Plan Shortfall Raises Pressure for Financial Fix
- URGENT READING - Iraq, The Money Pit!!!???
September 5, 2003 - The Postwar Bill
For Iraq Surges Past Projections
- America's Recovery, the Military and Hedonic Pricing...WOW!!!
September 4, 2003 - America's recovery is not what it seems
- Spending on Necessities!!!
September 4, 2003 - The No-Frills Middle Class
- California Leading the Nation..Cause or Effect?
September 4, 2003 - Will California Prove to Be Harbinger of Larger Revolt?
- Housing Prices are Slowing!!!
September 3, 2003 - This is Best Indicator as it tracks the same house over and over again.
- More on UK Debt Burden..It's not Just Happening in the USA
September 3, 2003 - UK consumer credit
- MUST READING!!!...Personal Debt Surges in Britain
September 3, 2003 - Throughout this balmy summer, when temperatures hit their highs...
- Consumer Comfort Stuck in a Rut!!!
August 29, 2003
- Mortgage refis and New Home Purchases being Strangled by Higher Rates
August 22, 2003
- Secular Sentiment has a Long Way to Go!!!
August 27, 2003 - Ned Davis Research
- Better News on Pensions
August 15, 2003 - Gloom Lifting for Pension Plans
- Derivatives and Why We are Worried!!!
August 14, 2003 - Who's carrying the can?
- Ongoing Signs of DEFLATION!!!
August 13, 2003 - Steel of the Century
- The Dividend Tax Cut...Hmmm?
August 13, 2003 - Why the Dividend Tax Cut Still Isn't a Giveaway
- Homebuilders' Shaky Foundations
August 12, 2003 - Some Companies Spend Their Cash On Own Shares as Housing Sector Cools
- Is ‘stabilizing’ Still an Apt Word to Describe the Labor Market?
August 12, 2003
- Fannie & Computer Modeling
August 7, 2003 - Fannie Mae's Loss Risk Is Larger, Computer Models Show
- Global Rebalancing
August 5, 2003 - by Steve Roach, Morgan Stanley Economist
- Fannie and Freddie, Uncle Sam's Children
August 3, 2003 - Teaching Fannie and Freddie to Act Like Grown-Ups
- Some Reasons for the Rise in Rates
August 3, 2003 - Treasuries as Predictor and, Maybe, Shocker
- Story of how GDP grows by 1-2% a Year!!!
July 30, 2003 - Cash-out refinancing curtailed
- Hold the Bubbly, Wall Street
July 9, 2003 - After months of bad headlines, Wall Street finally got something to crow about last week when a federal judge tossed out two class-action suits over tainted stock research.
- The Bubble...Comstock Partners
June 17, 2003
- Just Say No to Rate Cuts
June 23, 2003 - The Federal Reserve is poised to cut interest rates even further this week.
- Is this the Bottom?
June 4, 2003 - CITI Cutting 50 Top-Level Investment Bankers
- The 'D' Words - Deflation and the Dollar
May 27, 2003 - Corporates ended the week on a positive note and are out only 2-3 bp so far on the month.
- Stocks Up, Bonds Up..hmmmmmm!
May 18, 2003 - Stocks Are Looking Up. Bond Traders Look Askance.
- Gold, Bonds & the Dollar
May 15, 2003 - Ned Davis Chart of the Day
- Not a Pretty Sight!!!
May 6, 2003 - Street Layoffs Hit New Record
- Another Peak (similar to Money Store in '93)?
May 6, 2003 - Diller's USAI Buys Lendingtree.com
- A Main Street Tax Cut
April 4, 2003 - Talk about deja vu. This week I had the chance, along with a dozen other investment strategists, to brief President Bush and Treasury Secretary John Snow...
- Pension Accounting & It's Totally Legal..(HARD TO BELIEVE)
March 21, 2003 - Pension Accounting Turns $31 Billion of Losses Into Earnings
- More Troubles at the State Level!!
March 21, 2003 - Missouri asks to borrow money from federal government to pay unemployment benefits
- Killing the Hen that Laid the Golden Egg!!!
March 19, 2003 - Oil Loss Hits UN Coffers
- Refis are Definitely not DEAD!!!
March 13, 2003 - Mortgage Bankers Association's Refinance and Purchase Indexes
February 28, 2003 - Home-Building Stocks Show Weakness After Strong Run
- Accounting Fraud is Not over (by any stretch ...)
February 25, 2003 - Ahold's Accounting Scandal Raises Questions on What's Being Cured
- More Cutbacks for Financial TV!
February 26, 2003 - CNNFN to offer less live coverage, cut jobs
- Rents are a Falling...more Smoke!!
February 19, 2003 - How low can rents go?
- Tough Times in NYC
February 19, 2003 - Economy Is Tough All Over, but in New York, It's Horrid
- China & Iraq!
February 16, 2003 - Peking Duct Tape
- Japanese Demographics
February 11, 2003 - For Ailing Japan, Longevity Takes Bite Out of Economy
- Watch who you Insure With!
January 30, 2003 - More Insurance Firms Go Bust, Blocking Collection on Claims
- U.S. Companies See Profits In Latin America Go South
February 12, 2003 - At a time when many U.S. companies are struggling to meet sales targets at home, a once-reliable market abroad suddenly looks much less hospitable: Latin America.
- Tax Moves by Enron Said to Mystify the I.R.S.
February 13, 2003 - Enron and other big companies have escaped taxes in recent years through financial maneuvers so complex that the Internal Revenue Service has been unable to understand them...
- Wall Street Bonuses down 40-60% again!!!
February 13, 2003 - A Bullet for Stinking Citi
- Continuing Trouble South of the Border
February 11, 2003 - Argentina Struggles to Meet Debt-Relief Terms
- Figures never lie but Liars always Figure
February 6, 2003 - More worries about earnings
- The States are Very Troubled
February 5, 2003 - Frail Economy, Rising Costs Are Pinching States' Budgets
- You Pay the Bank to Save???
February 5, 2003 - Where Banks Pay Borrowers to Borrow Money
- Vicious Circle
February 5, 2003 - Layoffs Create Glut of Space in Boston Area
- Job Market Lacking
February 6, 2003 - U.S. Economy in Worst Hiring Slump in 20 Years
- Old Europe
February 2, 2003 - Ah, Those Principled Europeans
- That Other Problem With 'Old Europe'
January 31, 2003 - President Bush has good reason to be mad at what his defense secretary calls "old Europe."
- Slim Growth for Economy in 4th Quarter
January 31, 2003 - The economy eked out a meager growth rate of 0.7 percent in the fourth quarter of last year...
- Pensions & their Guarantees
January 23, 2003 - America's system of insuring private pension plans needs fixing
- uhhh ohhh?!?
January 28, 2003 - Japan 'loses' 206kg of plutonium
- The Mighty $
January 30, 2003 - Investors betting on the dollar's slide hope history repeats itself
- PENSIONS...The Next KILLER WAVE
November 28, 2002 - Don't Count on That Company Pension
- ''Click on OUR INTERACTIVE Graphic for Housing info''
January 30, 2003 - Bridge Loans Help Fill Gap Between Selling and Buying
- The Markets & the War
January 29, 2003 - What Happens to the Market After Iraq?
- Private-Sector Medicare
January 28, 2003 - As President Bush begins to sell his new Medicare plan, one word we're not likely to hear from the White House is privatization.
- It Ain't over til it's Over!!!
January 29, 2003 - If you work at Goldman Sachs, watch out - CEO Hank Paulson is threatening more layoffs.
- Layoffs are the only way to make the Numbers!!
January 29, 2003 - Last year's bloodbath in corporate America is showing signs of paying off at the bottom line.
- Super Bowl defines a Not-So-Good Year!
January 24, 2003 - Forget the economy, earnings, and accounting fraud - stocks are heading South because of football.
- The Debt Bomb
January 20, 2003 - Only housing is keeping the fuse on America's borrowing habit from burning down
- If Argentina or Brazil Defaults our Banking System Takes a Huge Hit!!!
January 17, 2003 - Loans to Argentina Head Off a Default
- Mutual Funds cutting Back...just the beginning
January 17, 2003 - Troubled Putnam Cuts More Jobs
- What's up in the $400b CDO Market..and what is a CDO anyway?
January 15, 2003 - Loose Accounting Rules Keep Defaults Off Books - for Now
- Scary Stuff...Back to WW I
January 8, 2003 - Toxins pose grave threat in battle
- Some say YES to DIVIDENDS!
January 8, 2003 - Dividends on Way
- Bush's Dividend Reform Plan
January 8, 2003 - Tax Cut may Hit Retirement Savings, Muni Bonds
January 7, 2003 - All that glisters...
- Did you not Think IT was over?..Me too!!
January 7, 2003 - Meet the new, slimmer AT&T.
January 7, 2003 - Market's Ills Won't Be Solved By a Cut in Tax on Dividends
- COMPing 2000-2003 to 1973-1974...
January 6, 2003 - An Interview With James Moltz
- Ripple Effect of Financial Services Job Losses
January 6, 2003 - Overseas and Out
- Tech & Telecom..Volatility Personified!!!
January 5, 2003 - Tech Rally Is Not Yet a Revival
- The Optimistic Reflation Play...Scripted for You
January 5, 2003 - A Market With Plenty of Room to Grow
- Merrill in the Lead! WOW!
January 5, 2003 - Have Merrill's Bulls Been Led to Pasture?
- Structured Finance..Under the Microscope?
January 3, 2003 - Senate Panel: Rein In Structured Finance
- More Headline News on the ENRON Enablers!
January 3, 2003 - Congress Blasts Banks' Support for ENRON
- Healthcare Costs...another Burden!
January 2, 2003 - Costs, Politics of Health Care Will Dominate Debate in '03
- States' Spending now 13% of GDP!
January 2, 2003 - Fiscal Woes Force Some States To Consider Increase in Taxes
- Real Estate Was Hot Again, But New Data Worry Some
January 2, 2003 - The real-estate market soared to new heights in 2002...
- Bankrupcies, Still Growing...hmm, Employment Problems!!!
January 2, 2003 - High debt and low cash mean more candidates for 2003. Credit analysts have a whole list of possible filers.
- At the Bottom of Interest Rate Cycle?
January 2, 2003 - How fast will American firms reduce their excessive borrowing?
- Pondering Japan
December 23, 2002 - Is the IMF Ready to Lean on Japan?
January 2, 2003 - Battered investors, coming off a third year of bear market losses, are looking straight down the barrel of what could be another difficult year for stocks.
- Contrarily Correct!
December 30, 2002 - Have you noticed how the learned middle-of-the-roaders among us - America's Opinion Class, shall we say - have all been harrumphing that 2002 was supposedly the Year of the Fraudster CEO?
- More Pain to Come to Wall Street
December 30, 2002 - Wall Street staffers - already suffering from waves of layoffs this year - can expect more of the same in the new year, labor pros warn.
- Continuing States' Woes
December 27, 2002 - Deepest state deficits in 50 years
- ENRON and Inflated Assets
December 26, 2002 - Inquiry Now Examining Whether Enron's Assets Were Inflated
- Go SubPrime Go!!!!
December 23, 2002 - Subprime lending is a curse that is afflicting a scary array of industries far beyond credit cards. Wireless, autos and housing are also guilty of this foolishness.
- Consumer Feasting on Debt!
December 24, 2002 - Consumer Debt Looks Set to Keep Soaring
- The MOST IMPORTANT ruling so far in the 21st Century!
December 21, 2002 - Ruling Leaves Most Players Exposed to Suits on Enron
- Tax on Dividends
December 20, 2002 - Bush Scaling Down Plans for Tax Cut
- ''A Jawboning GREENSPAN''
December 19, 2002 - Business investment key to rebound.
- Suing for Overtime
December 18, 2002 - As companies try to squeeze more work out of fewer employees, they're facing a backlash: lawsuits forcing them to pay back wages for unpaid overtime.
- Venezuela...What does it Imply?
December 18, 2002 - Venezuelan Crisis, War Threat Boost Oil Prices
- Hmmm...Debt Raters Conflict of Interest
December 17, 2002 - Scandals spurred by conflicts of interest among Wall Street stock analysts may spread to include the big three credit-rating agencies if an upstart rival has its way.
- The Post Boom Scandals!...Naturally
December 16, 2002 - It was, it seemed, the year when corporate America went crooked as it never had before, when chicanery took the place of integrity, when wrongdoing exploded in ways that could not have been anticipated.
- Interesting Overview of War with Iraq
December 13, 2002 - The next set of major decisions to be made by Saddam Hussein and George W. Bush will likely strongly influence the events and direction of the next few years, and perhaps decades.
- Still Big Problems in Bond Land!!!
December 12, 2002 - November Downgrades: The Tally Continues
- A Game of Chicken South of the Border!
November 21, 2002 - The hole gets deeper
- Backend (esp Oct) Quite Weak (as per the Industrial Production Survey)
November 27, 2002 - Manufacturers Saw Gains Early in the Third Quarter
- Calculating Costs of Invasion
November 28, 2002 - Recent studies suggest that even a successful military campaign in Iraq could carry a hefty price tag
- Corporate Crookery!
November 28, 2002 - A little list, but getting longer
- Credit Bubble Just Getting Bigger & Bigger!!!! Tragic!
November 27, 2002 - Fannie, Freddie to Boost Home-Loan Limits 7.3%
- Fed Nonplus about Latest Numbers
November 29, 2002 - Fed Officials Remain Doubtful About Prospects for Recovery
- It Ain't Just in the U S of A, Folks!
November 29, 2002 - Munich Re Posts Loss As Its Outlook Clouds
- Low Rates Adversely Impact Japan's Life Insurance Industry
November 28, 2002 - No policy is the best policy
- Anxious Index from the Phily Fed
November 25, 2002 - More Furrowed Brows. Is a Double Dip Ahead?
- Hurting at Year end
November 26, 2002 - Bonuses Shrink
- The Result of Mr. Magoo's Printing Press!
November 25, 2002 - Debt woes nearing record
- The States have Huge Problems- This is but One!
November 26, 2002 - States Are Facing Big Fiscal Crises, Governors Report
- Warring over Pension Plans
November 25, 2002 - Pension Agency Plans Filing to Aid Global Crossing Workers
- Foreclosures a Roaring!
November 24, 2002 - Easy Credit and Hard Times Bring a Flood of Foreclosures
- Good Real Estate Article
November 21, 2002 - Real-estate bubble?
- Health Insurance
November 25, 2002 - Problem of Lost Health Benefits Is Reaching Into the Middle Class
- Not Letting Their Markets CLEAR!!!
November 21, 2002 - Financial Crisis Heats Up in Japan
- Some Positively-Received News
November 22, 2002 - U.S. Economy Is Showing Fresh Signs of Good Health
- Another "D" Word!
November 19, 2002 - Who's Afraid of the Deficit? Cassandras Are Out of Style
- Increasing the Unemployment Rolls (with 7 figure salaried people)
November 19, 2002 - Wall Street's best-known cheerleaders are afraid they'll be tossed completely out of the money game.
- Ugly Bad This Property in Japan Deal!
November 19, 2002 - Falling Land Prices in Japan Take a Heavy Toll on Banks
- Valuation Still Counts
November 18, 2002 -Ned Davis Research: Status of Bubble of 2000 valuation Excesses
- We'reTalking Between $300-$700 Billion (depending on whose counting) for Argentina and Brazil!
November 19, 2002 - As Inflation Creeps Up, Brazilians Grow More Nervous
- Another Credit Downgrade and Watch Out!!!
November 17, 2002 - J.P. Morgan's Thorny Dilemma on Troubled Loans
- Bankrupcy Bill...Another Political Death
November 16, 2002 - Bankruptcy Bill, Caught in Abortion Dispute, Dies in Congress
- Getting Caught in the Deal!
November 13, 2002 - Merrill Lynch Holds 11% Stake In Chartered Semiconductor
- Holy Cow!
November 14, 2002 - The Smoking Gun
- It's Global You Know!!!
November 14, 2002 - Germany's life insurers have gambled away their strength
- Ploys that Didn't Work!!!
November 14, 2002 - A gambit to escape the commercial-paper crunch backfires
November 18, 2002 - Would you like to know what life is going to be like in America more or less a decade from now?
- A Bull on Tax Cuts
November 11, 2002 - We've Cut Rates, Now Let's Cut Taxes
- Another Symptom of the Disease Spreading!
November 10, 2002 - Suddenly, State Universities Have More Allure
- Bears on Tax Cuts
November 11, 2002 - History Casts Doubt On Efficacy of Tax Cuts
- From a False Addition to EPS during the Boom Times, to a Probable Loan Covenant Buster in the BUST!!
November 10, 2002 - It's Time to Move Pension Reporting Out of the Dark
- Latent BUBBLE Recognition
November 10, 2002 - In a Bubble Economy, Recognition Comes Too Late
- Two and a half Years Later....Like Any Other Post-Bubble Environment!!!
November 10, 2002 - Softness in Fairfield's $2 Million Home Market
- Defining the 12th Cut
November 7, 2002 - The Worry Beneath Greenspan's Words
- Death by a Thousand Cuts!
November 6, 2002 - Detroit Revs Up the Car Deals, And the Prices, Amid a Slump
- It's Getting Hotter in Here!!!
November 6, 2002 - Credit Derivatives Get Popular Among Hedge Funds, Insurers
- The Banks' Next Waterloo..(just when we thought it was simmering down)
November 6, 2002 - Energy Industry's Debt Is Long-Term Problem
- Is Germany Looking Like Japan..Oh No!!!
November 1, 2002 - Think of a once-mighty economy, sapped by years of sclerotic growth, a parlous banking system and a political elite that seems culturally incapable of tackling its problems.
- The Upcoming Week...
November 4, 2002 - Don't expect a smooth ride from the stock market this week.
- A Tortuous Thought....
October 30, 2002 - As deflation fears grow, a look at how it would affect us
- In the Horns of a Dilemma
October 30, 2002 - American interest rates, at their lowest for 40 years, are heading lower
- "Watch Out...Part II is Just Beginning!"
October 29, 2002 - With Wall Street under siege from regulators and economic forces, bankers and brokers are running so scared that they're shutting their wallets and sending a shiver through the New York economy.
- Bear Market Rally?
October 28, 2002 - Bruised Stocks Lead Rally, But How Long Will It Last?
- Brazil's Election Sparks Concerns for its Neighbors
October 28, 2002 - The election of a left-leaning president in Brazil Sunday is resurrecting the fear that the financial woes of South America's economic powerhouse could send shock waves through its neighbors.
- Continued Interference..Therefore No Clearing!
October 30, 2002 - Bad NewsRips Market; 22nd Decline for S&P 500 in October
- I'll Pass....
October 30, 2002 - Shopping - Bag People
October 12, 2002 - Move in Japan to Aid Banks Plagued by Bad Debt
- Earnings Esimates are a JOKE!!!
October 13, 2002 - Waiting for a Big Rebound in Profits? Wait Longer
October 10, 2002 - Investors Hope Energy Stocks Will Feel 'Post-Scandal' Pop
- "Butting Heads"
October 10, 2002 - Citigroup Has New Worry: What Grubman Will Say
October 11, 2002 - House Auctions Take Off As High-End Sales Slow
- Tough to get Deals Done
October 10, 2002 - Burger King deal not done yet
- "Debt Is Not Discriminating!"
October 9, 2002 - Debt Problems Are Haunting Even Well-Heeled Consumers
October 8, 2002 - Banks' Business-Loan Losses Hit Record Levels This Year
- "What do Auto Companies Do For An Oncore (in 2003)?"
October 9, 2002 - Ford Motor's Bonds Suffer New Hit Despite Comments
- The Ripple Effect
October 9, 2002 - Lap Of Drudgery
- White Collar Layoffs Just Starting!
Success on Wall Street has come to mean cutting people and problems
- $84 Trillion And Counting
October 8, 2002 - Greenspan Cautions Banks Against Speculative Excess
- Brazil Ballots Batters Banks
October 8, 2002 - Thanks to an unresolved presidential election in Brazil, U.S. banking stocks are likely to be under pressure for weeks.
- Chartered Semiconductor Stake May Be Thrust on Merrill Lynch
October 8, 2002 - Merrill Lynch & Co. seems set to acquire a substantial stake in Singapore chip maker Chartered Semiconductor Manufacturing Ltd. -- and therein lies a tale.
- Korea Faces Bubble In Consumer Spending
October 8, 2002 - How do you fix an economy that is both overheating and cooling down?
- Wall Street to Slash More Jobs As Market Remains Depressed
October 8, 2002 - Harry S. Truman once said it's a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it's a depression when you lose yours.
- Unapologetic Bear Believes Market Is Still Overvalued
September 30, 2002 - On a scale of 1 to 10, where 10 is most bullish and one is bearish, how do you feel about the market?
- Ailing Economy Needs a Remedy From Bush
October 3, 2002 - It is being said by some that President Bush has no economic policy. In fact, the administration does have one. But it is not working.
- Bill Gross Got It Wrong … It’s Dow 6000!
October 3, 2002 - Ned Davis Research Chart of The Day
- From Economic Crises of Yore, There's Hope -- and Harbingers
With stocks sagging, public anger at corporations rising and fear of war growing, what's in store for the economy?
A Tale of the S&P 500 P/E Ratios Over 75 Years
September 17, 2002 - Tyco Ex-CEO's Party for Wife Cost $2.1 Million, Togas Included
- Household Net Worth Falls 3.4%; Economists Fear Spending Decline
September 17, 2002 - The stock market continues to hammer away at Americans' net worth.
- The Firms that can't stop falling
September 5, 2002 - Chapter 11 of America's bankruptcy code may not be working quite as advertised
- Another Slap at Democracy on Wall St.
Millions of investors rushed into the stock market in the 1990's, believing that Wall Street was at least a fairly level playing field.
- AOL's Revenue Voodoo Sales Deals From the '90s may be more Fake than Real
If I pay you to cut my hair, and you pay me to shine your shoes, have we both broken the law - or even made a buck?
- Consumers Have Been Prop For a Fragile U.S. Economy
Immediately after Sept. 11, it looked as if the U.S. economy might buckle.
- The Rise And Fall Of U.S. Tax Receipts
The shocking U.S. fiscal deterioration largely reflects a collapse in tax receipts and a return to earlier highs in the tax share of GDP is unlikely.
- U.S. Stocks: Watch The Dollar
The Fed may need to ease before the equity market resumes its recent advance.
- Double Counting the Debt
From Ned Davis Research
- Credit-Card Scrutiny Hits Lenders And Threatens to Damp Spending
A federal crackdown on credit-card lending is squeezing some lenders even before proposed guidelines take effect, and threatens to pinch consumer spending.
- Homeowners Refinancing Loans Push Appraisers to Go Yet Higher
Real-estate appraiser Charles Warren recently ran afoul of a San Francisco homeowner when he wouldn't promise to appraise the house at $2 million.
- Weaker Dollar Has Yet to Spur a Boom in Exports
The nation's trade deficit has narrowed slightly from record highs, the Commerce Department said yesterday, but the falling value of the dollar has yet to spur a boom in exports that could jump-start the sputtering economic recovery.
- Contradictory Signals From Commercial Property
Two powerful trends seem to be clashing in commercial real estate in New Jersey, market experts say.
- The Risks of Deflation (are gaining on us)
- Housing Prices Continue Ascent, Fueling More Fears of a Bubble
Fears of a housing bubble just got worse.
- Are Profits Surging or Flat? It Depends
The second-quarter reporting season is just about over, with 456 of the companies in the Standard & Poor's 500-stock index having announced profits or losses.
- Every Market Collapse Is Different
This is an extraordinary period for American investors. Caution should be their compass.
- Forget the Wealth Effect: Income Drives Spending
It's time to stop paying so much attention to the "wealth effect."
- Credit Sights: July Ratings and 2Q02 Defaults: Two Thumbs Down
The market retraced much of yesterday’s rout on a lack of new bad news to drive prices out further.
- Foreign Investors Turning Cautious on Spending in U.S.
Foreign investors, who once joined with confident Americans in a wave of spectacular acquisitions and business spending that helped power the 1990's economic boom, are now turning cautious about the United States economy.
- The US Economy is not Depression-Proof
One of the enduring myths about government is the notion that successful governments are those entities that "provide prosperity" for those who are governed.
- A Torrent of Loans Becomes a Trickle
Last year, as consumer spending slowed and demand sank for casual clothes, Cone Mills, the nation's largest denim maker, was one of the lucky ones.
- All About the Saggy Bottom Boys
Also: Currency crisis may provide a crushing blow
- Grim and Bear It
Despite the occasional upticks, this columnist believes the bull market is over. Way over.
- Silicon Valley's New Pessimists Talk of Pain Beyond
San Francisco, July 11 — Hopes that the second half of 2002 would see the end of technology's business decline seem to be retreating.
- After the Bubble
A long, hard market lies ahead. How to find opportunity
- Is The Bad News Over? Not Yet, Says a Debt Watcher
Just as bull markets often end when corporate news is rosiest, bear markets often expire when the grimmest headlines rule.
- Equity Ownerships in the U.S. is Too High
BCA Daily Insights - June 21, 2002 Equity Ownership is still at bubble levels and investors will increasingly decide to rebalance portfolios.
- After Boom, a Bust Exposes Wall St. Ethics
In a 1990 essay, he wrote about the savings and loan scandal, the economist Paul Krugman wondered why there seemed to be so many crooks in that business in the late 1980s.
With the free Adobe® Acrobat® Reader®
software, you can view and print Adobe Portable Document Format
(PDF) files. If you do not already have Microsoft® Word®,
Excel® or Power Point® installed on your computer, the
viewers enable you to view and print Word documents, Excel spreadsheets
and Power Point presentations. If you already have Word, Excel
or Power Point installed on your computer, you do not need to
download these viewers. To download any of these free programs,
click a link above.
©2019 Lawrence Capital Management, Inc. All rights reserved.